Monday, September 24, 2007

I Thought I Was Alone...

Two weeks ago, I thought I was alone. I thought I was... well... weird because unlike the majority, I don't really care that much for music with lyrics in it. Instead, I prefer my music in instrumental format; naked and untainted - devoid of the words of others telling you what you should think or feel as you listen. I don't want to be told a literal story with my music: I want to discover the story within the notes, to devise as many stories as I can from each title. In a nutshell, I don't want to be ordered to "hit you, baby, one more time" or anything else of the kind. In this day and age, the only such music that gives you that right in my personal experience is that of the score; motion picture or televised. The added bonus of such works being that, if you choose, you can easily connect them in your mind to the visuals and dialogue, faces and stories, of the productions they are created for. You receive the best of both worlds - both being able to imagine and create your own story, your own feelings, and/or being able to envision and follow those stories and feelings laid down by others.

Two weeks ago, I thought I was alone. Then I found you all. Through La Leyenda De Los Soundtracks I discovered not just a massive cache of untold riches, a gold mine of scores - many extended beyond their limited commercial releases - like I had never dreamed existed. As I ventured beyond it's bounds, I found it was but one member of a community I feel I have been searching for. Though I have only explored the surface depths of this rich and wonderful world, I have found that - to my surprise - I have scores to share. Somehow, I have obtained a small handful of scores that it seems others have not. So I created this blog, in order to join the community; to share and enrich you all, as you have me. It is with that in mind that I post my first release, which I know from personal experience to be something highly coveted...

In 1992, Bruce W. Timm and Paul Dini created their own unique vision of Batman. In doing so, they combined all of the right elements in just the right way, and accomplished something no one expected: a definitive portrayal of the Bat and his universe. Amongst all the variations upon Batman over the decades, from the first comics, the 1940's serials, the camp of the 1960's Adam West and 1970's Superfriends, to Frank Miller's legendary restoration of Batman's edge, Tim Burton's gothic experiment, Joel Schumacher's destructive touch, and finally Christopher Nolan's salvation, one incarnation of Batman has emerged above them all, to be held in high regard by a large majority of bat-fans as the ultimate and unchallenged champion. This was Batman: The Animated Series also known as 'The Adventures of Batman and Robin'.

This series gave birth to the character of Harley Quinn, the Joker's bubbly-bimbo girl sidekick - and the first and only character created outside the comics to then be incorporated into them - as well as the definitive portrayal of the Joker by (of all people) Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker of Star Wars) and began the decades-plus reign of Kevin Conroy as the voice of Batman. Though re-invented briefly as 'The New Batman Adventures' AKA 'Batman: Gotham Knights' and parent to 'Batman Beyond' and, in a sense, the 'Superman' animated series and 'Justice League' series which followed in it's footsteps, it is the original 89 episodes of 'The Animated Series' which continues to dominate after 15 years. This original series also offered us some of the best bat-music ever created. Scored by the late, great Shirley Walker, any element of the show's score has been a great white whale to fans. Until now.

I was lucky enough to acquire a promotional score, containing 5 suites from 5 separate episodes, the shortest of which is 6 minutes 50 seconds, the longest 12 minutes 51 seconds. I have also included the opening titles from 'Batman: The Animated Series' and it's later re-titled 'The Adventures of Batman and Robin'. As a special bonus on top of this ultra-rare assortment, I have included three brief tracks from the score of the aforementioned 'Superman' animated series, including an extended cut of it's opening title. So without further rambling on my part, happy downloading!



  • Batman: The Animated Series - Main Title (1:00)

  • The Adventures of Batman & Robin Theme (0:56)

  • Suite from 'Dam of the Samurai' (12:51)

  • Suite from 'Demon's Quest, part 1' (8:56)

  • Suite from 'Feat of Clay, part 2' (12:33)

  • Suite from 'I Am The Night' (7:33)

  • Suite from 'The Laughing Fish' (6:50)

  • [BONUS] Superman: Animated Theme - Extended (2:32)

  • [BONUS] Superman Animated: Double Obsession (1:56)

  • [BONUS] Superman Animated: Mala Tells a Story (1:01)

http://hyperfileshare.com/d/7db09a11

19 comments:

THXjay said...

Hey Frontier,

Just found you thru nomwl1's blog, Welcome to the music blog community, isn't it great.
I have a Crime Jazz music blog but I'm a massive Soundtrack fan (especially sci-fi, fantasy, horror) so I'll be a regular visitor.

I'm new to blog ownership myself, although I've been mooching through others for several months....it's amazing what you can pick up, my soundtrack collection just exploded after discovering blogs.

May I suggest looking here for soundtracks, it's not very glamorous and its a long trawl going through the old comments but I think you'll find its worth it.

franklynot

start in the 007 requests

All the best, I'll put a link to you on my blog, maybe some visitors can help with your requests:)

All the best

Jason

The Crime Lounge

you may want to allow anonymous comments, its amazing how many people aren't bloggers or don't want to register but will still post links, worth a think;)

THXjay said...

I've just put a link to you over on isbum's place "franklynot", so expect a deluge of visitors checking you out, the folks there are really great guys,very helpful.

Jason

Rocket From Mars said...

Hi Frontier!

Welcome to the wild and wooly world of blogging. Best of luck! I hope it turns out to be a fun and rewarding experience for you.

Thanks for shareing The Batman score. (I agree with your take on the animated series 100%)!

Cheers!

Rocket From Mars

Anonymous said...

Fantastic idea for a blog, consider this guy a regular visitor.

Isbum said...

Best wishes Frontier!

Please feel free to post future updates of this planet at Franklynot.

eda-88 said...

Good luck to your blog!

eda-88!

THXjay said...

Told Ya ;)

Frontier said...

Hey all! Thanks! I've updated my links back to the blogs linked/mentioned above. If I missed anyone, just let me know!

Also allowed anonymous comments. ;)

Joserael said...

Hey Frontier, I put on La Leyenda to Resident Evil....

Enjoy and GOOG Blog!!!

Good Luck my friend!

Fire said...

Finally, I have found someone else who detests lyrics as much as I do!

Fire said...

I noticed Malcom Reynolds in your banner. If you don't have either the Serenity or Firefly score, let me know.

Crispy32 said...

Great blog..and huge thanks for the Batman Score - easily my fave incarnation of the Dark Night.

I too am very new to this Blogger thing and like you I was introduced to this world via the awesome La Leyenda De Los Soundtracks.

Feel free to check my own blog http://reelcool.blogspot.com/

for any tasty tidbits!

Crispy32 said...

If like me you are a fan of the Bat, check this excellent site out.

http://www.anbat.toonzone.net/

Some great stuff on there

Crispy32 said...

Further to your request for all things relted to Batman TAS, you might find the attached link of interest. It contains all the mp3 audio files from the anbat site.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8ilmiymmvme

Frontier said...

Reply to fire
Re: Firefly/Serenity
Firefly's score ruled, of course. Have that. Serenity's score... meh, it had none of what made Firefly's great. :) Did you hear, though, that the DVD sales for the Special Edition of Serenity have Universal considering Serenity 2? Direct to DVD, I think, but still... considering Serenity's box-office, that's fantastic news. And yes, I do indeed detest lyrics as much as you. Heh.

Reply to Crispy32
Re: Batman
Awesome. Website's pretty cool. Another great site I know of: http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/

Fire said...

Wow, Serenity 2 is great news. I'll have to look into this.

Chief of Police Ebeneezer Esteridge said...

Thank you for the BTAS suites. Excellent. There are alot of parallels to my recent discovery of the blogs and yours.
What a great discovery it has been!!
Keep up the good work and all the best!!

Anonymous said...

@Crispy32: Looks like your mediafire link is dead. Would you mind reporting?

Crispy32 said...

Reupped link to btas stuff

http://rapidshare.com/files/90093046/btas.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/82291140/BBROTJ.rar