Sunday, October 21, 2007

Oh, What A Week...

Oh, what a week I've had...

Who would have ever thought that getting a new(er) computer to upgrade to would be such a monumental and frustrating chore? I thought I had some concept of this before I began such, and yet in hindsight now, I see I was sorely unprepared for the true scope of such an undertaking...

It all began three weeks ago. A friend asked me to come and play an on-line game with him, like we once upon a time used to do. I was willing to oblige, but unable courtesy of antique hardware. So my friend decided to take it upon himself to catch me up some on the latest hardware. Well, sort of. One of his old computers (he goes through them like the seasons change) was more than suitable to get me up to spec, so he provided me with such. Thus began the frustration of data migration...

You all know without me having to tell you, just how large a file collection can become - especially a soundtrack or even general music collection. Well I'm a collector of many things, so whatever number of gigabytes you have rolling around your head, quadruple it. Then double whatever you just came up with. That's me. And migrating that much data from a 5-year-old computer equipped with only USB 1, well... if you know technology, you know how long of an ordeal we're discussing. Hours upon hours upon hours, as my data snaked it's way up along a USB cord at a snail's pace, moving from it's comfortable home hard drives to a new naked external drive in the effort to save my most precious data.

A week later, I'm finally just getting settled in on this new machine. Setting things to my preferences. Trying to remember oh so many password and login combinations that I'd had stored via auto-complete in my old machine. Still, I didn't want to keep with the negative trend of going more than a week without posting something new. So I scrounged together a score I'm quite fond of, even if it is a commercial release (translation: lacking in additional and/or rare content). One of those summer blockbusters of a few years ago, The Day After Tomorrow sounds somewhat like the title for a Bond movie. On the contrary though, as Global Warming became more of a central issue, this movie cashed in through the use of a awesome special effects, a 20-something heart-throb (Jake Gylenhaal) and some veteran talent (Dennis Quaid, Sela Ward).

The score is by a fellow named Harold Kloser, whom though I can't for the life of me say I've heard of before to my off-the-top-of-my-head-knowledge, created a wonderful score with a brooding-yet-hopeful central theme. Have a download and a listen, and enjoy. ;)

http://hyperfileshare.com/d/31e3fbc8

No comments: